UPCOMING UNIFORM/PRIMARY ELECTIONS
The City of Garland will hold a General Election for the Office of the Mayor and Districts 1, 3, 6, 7, and 8 on May 1, 2021. The filing period for the May 1, 2021 General Election will be Jan 13, 2021 – Feb 12, 2021.
See Texas Election Code (TEC) Section 141.001, and the City of Garland Charter.
- Be a United States citizen (TEC)
- Be a qualified voter (City of Garland Charter)
- Not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court (TEC)
- Not been finally convicted of a felony from which not pardoned (TEC)
- Resided continuously in state for 12 months and City and District for 12 full months before the first allowed filing date for the election (TEC and City of Garland Charter)
The following documents are required to file for a place on the ballot:
- Application for place on ballot
- Application for place on ballot- Special Election - Only for District 1 Vacancy (Application filing period begins Feb 3)
- Petition(s)with correct number of valid signatures. Every person desiring to file for elective office with the city shall first present to the City Secretary a sufficient petition signed by a minimum of the following:
- Petitions with 31 or more signatures from the citizens in your district for a Council office
- Petitions with 100 or more signatures from the citizens of Garland for the Office of Mayor
- Campaign Treasurer Appointment
- Disclosure Form (required by the City’s Ethics Ordinance)
Access a complete City Council Candidate Packet.
For more information call 972-205-2404 or email the City Secretary's Office.
November 2, 2021 - Texas Constitutional Election